Prevent Diabetes Northwest Iowa / Prevent T2 will meet early next year beginning with an Informational Session on Thursday, January 17 from 5-6 p.m.
Guided by trained lifestyle coaches, participants will learn the skills they need to make lifelong changes.
• to eat healthy
• to add physical activity to their routine
• to manage stress
• to stay motivated
• to solve problems that can get in the way of healthy changes
PreventT2 groups meet for a year — weekly for the first 6 months, then once a month for the second 6 months to maintain healthy lifestyle changes.
The local program will meet at Hawarden Regional Health Center – Conference Room 3 (use west entrance on Avenue L) from 5-6 pm, on Thursday nights beginning January 17, and costs $175.00 with the potential to earn back $75.00 based on group attendance.
The program is offered by Community Health Partners, Hawarden Regional Healthcare, Hegg Health Center, Orange City Area Health System and Sioux Center Health.
PreventT2 is part of the National Diabetes Prevention Program, led by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). To participate in the PreventT2 program, call 712.737.2971 or email [email protected] Click here for our registration form. Registration deadline is Thursday, January 24.
People are more likely to have prediabetes and type 2 diabetes if they:
• Are 45 years of age or older
• Are overweight
• Have a family history of type 2 diabetes
• Are physically active fewer than three times per week OR
• Have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes during pregnancy or gave birth to a baby weighing more than 9 pounds
- Be at least 18 years old and
- Be overweight (body mass index ≥25; ≥23 if Asian) and
- Have no previous diagnosis of type 1 or type 2 diabetes and
- Have a blood test result in the prediabetes range within the past year:Hemoglobin A1C: 5.7%–6.4% or
- Fasting plasma glucose: 100–125 mg/dL or
- Two-hour plasma glucose (after a 75 gm glucose load): 140–199 mg/dL or
- Be previously diagnosed with gestational diabetes