You can’t see radon. Or smell it. Or taste it. You can’t tell if there is radon in your home unless you test for it. Radon is a naturally occurring gas that can build up in your home. It is one of the leading causes of lung cancer, second only to smoking.
Fortunately, testing your home for radon is a very simple, inexpensive way to protect your family’s health. If elevated radon levels are found, it is recommended to hire a certified radon mitigation specialist to reduce the level of radon in your home.
It is important to test your home during winter months, when doors and windows have been kept closed.
Older and newer homes should be tested for radon every 3-4 years.
Radon test kits are available through Community Health Partners and at city offices throughout Sioux County. The cost of the test is $10. Directions are included in the kit.
For more information, click here, call the American Lung Association of Iowa at 515.309.9507, or email [email protected].