Autism, or Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), includes a broad range of conditions that often present as challenges with social skills, speech, learning and behavior. ASD can also create sensory sensitivities and a variety of other medical issues. The number of individuals impacted by autism has been increasing. Early recognition and intervention is important. Resources are available to help with diagnosis and ongoing support.
Click here for a printable brochure with all listed resources.
Behavioral Assessment and Referrals
NorthWest Area Education Agency (NWAEA) can help with behavioral assessment and referrals. Call (712) 222-6050.
- In-home services until age 3 (Early Access)
- In-school services after age 3
- Speech and physical therapy services
- IEP (Individualized Education Program) development
Who can Make a Diagnosis?
Your child’s primary care provider can do an evaluation and refer for diagnostic testing. You have several options for diagnostic testing.
Sanford Children’s Specialty Clinic | Sioux Falls | (605) 312-1000
Children’s Health Specialty Clinic | Sioux City | (712) 224-5437
- Completes a virtual visit with the University of Iowa
- Regional Autism Assistance Program based out of the University of Iowa
- Family navigators
University of Iowa | Iowa City | 1-855-842-8847
- Center for Disabilities and Development
- UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital
UNMC Monroe-Meyer Institute | Omaha | (402) 559-6418
- Autism Diagnostic Clinic – Referral can be made by a healthcare pforessional, school, social services agency, or family member
- CARE (Community Autism Resource Eduation) – A free program in English and Spanish for caregivers of individuals with autism. Autism experts will respond to caregiver-generated questions through videos, phone calls, and/or emails.
What to do After Diagnosis
- Iowa Autism Support – A state grant for families that do not qualify for Medicaid. Provides income-based funding for ABA therapy for children under the age of 14.
- Health and Disability – Usually the most applicable waiver for individuals with autism.
- Children’s Mental Health
- Intellectual Disability
- Supplemental Security Income
Consider ABA (Applied Behavioral Analysis) Therapy
Consider Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and mental health resources as they apply to your child and family
- Available at healthcare systems throughout Sioux County
Contact your child’s preschool or school
Consider mental health services for your child and family
Pier Center for Autism | Sioux City | (712) 552-2961
- Parent Education
- Social Smart Small Groups
- Daily Living Skills Programs
Behavioral Care Specialists | Rock Valley | (712) 454-3484
Thrive Center | Sioux Center | (712) 722-6951
LifeScape Autism and Child Development Center | Sioux Falls | (605) 444-9700 | 1-800-584-9294
Briar Cliff University Behavior Analysis Clinic | Sioux City | (712) 279-5480
Requires a referral from a provider
Hawarden Regional Healthcare | (712) 551-3100
Hegg Health Center | Rock Valley | (712) 476-8000
Orange City Area Health System | (712) 737-2000
Sioux Center Health | (712) 722-1271
HOPE Therapy Services | Le Mars | (712) 541-6440
Bloom Therapy | Sioux Falls | (605) 271-3464
LifeScape | Sioux City | (712) 226-2253
Facebook Siouxland Autism Support Group | Private Facebook group
ASK Resource Center | 1-800-450-8667
- State of Iowa’s Parent Training and Information Center for families of children with disabilities
- Resource library and training webinars.
Camp High Hopes | (712) 224-2267
Seasons/Camp Autumn | (712) 262-2922 | 1-800-242-5101